Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Conclusions are murder.

I've been trying to come up with an ending for my WriMo novel for awhile now (since...November), and I've had trouble deciding. I'm nervous that what I pick won't be good or powerful or funny or whatever it is I'm going for in this ending. The fact that I don't even know what I'm going for compounds the problem even further.

I think the truth is, no matter what I pick it won't really be good enough. Because it means the characters have an end, which is sad. Everyone might live in the end, but it'll mean the deaths of a thousand possibilities. That really happens in every part of the book, since you have to make a decision at some point as to what is going to happen next. But you can keep telling yourself that you'll incorporate any given idea at some point in the future of the novel. The ending means that those ideas aren't happening. No matter how long the novel, some ideas die.

So I've come to this conclusion: Conclusions are murder.
Oh, shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment